Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Happier News on the Human Rights Front

What I'm about to say might shock you...

This isn't primarily what this post is really about, but that's where I'm starting: four years ago, I voted for Obama. Well, back up. I didn't just vote for him. I campaigned for a year prior to his election. I served as a Precinct Chair, I was a delegate all through the primary right up to the state convention in Austin, TX, I registered fellow citizens to vote, I knocked doors, I made phone calls- I was a model of civic duty. I did all of this while working full time and going to graduate school full time, which qualifies me as a special kind of Grade A Type A Crazy. But I digress.

This year? Yeah, I moved to Albania and voted a month early via e-mail after filling out my overseas ballot online. And that was it. A little less involved (to say the least) far less interesting, and yes, much less work, but the end result is the same: Obama is in.



We were pretty sure at this point, but nothing official had been announced

One thing that isn't the same? On that night, in 2008, in the middle of all our "Yay, he won!" happiness, we received news via text message from a Californian friend: Prop 8 passed. So while everyone was celebrating, our little group was suddenly not feeling quite so hopeful.

Right after we found out he won, but clearly before we found out a majority of voters in CA hate the majority of our group

This time around, instead of a slap in the face of progressive social policy, we have the triple play of awesome that is Maine, Maryland, and Washington legalizing marriage equality. I can't adequately express how this makes me feel, so I'll let someone more eloquent take it away.


“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore. We have seen the future, and the future is ours.”-
C. Chavez

No comments:

Post a Comment